Tuesday 29 January 2008

Gankaku ( Crane on a Rock )

Our first none Whitchurch Dojo entry onto this Blog has been submitted by Steve Cameron IJKA 2nd Dan.He wrote, "Unfortunately you will probably disqualify it straight away as I'm not in a Gi!!This shot was taken using self timer and a tripod in September 1995, prior to my return to the UK after an 18 month spell working + training in Johannesburg, and long before your blog was around!! The rock in question is on the edge of Table Mountain in Cape Town. Behind me is a 3500 foot drop to the city below, and Table Bay + docks are in the background.Shame I never took my Gi in the rucksack.........but good to know I'm also in the sad club that never stops thinking about karate, long may it continue".
A unique stance, tsuru ashi dachi in the kata Gankaku, taken at a spectacular location - the Committee have over looked the No Gi issue - Thanks for the posting - a great Picture.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Steve you have also got your training shoes on, aswell as wearing a scarf.And can cranes fly to 3,500 ft. How the little things can effect a superb photo.

steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve said...

Thanks for allowing my entry.
In answer to Dave's comment, I never expected to be standing in a karate stance up there, it was a sunset shot I was hoping for on my trip.
Put that down to poor preparation!!
Still I was seriously concerned about the drop to my left so trainers helped with grip in the strong cold wind that day.
Should any karateka ever be heading to Table Mountain with a Gi in the rucksack I could be persuaded to give out clues on the rock's location......will not cost you too many beers!!!
Here's to more great photo's on the blog.

Ossu

Dave said...

Beers,I would have to be absolutely legless to be standing on a rock 3,500 ft above sea level.I will be looking for a rock with a stunning background view,but no more than 4 ft above sea level